Toronto Suburban 24
Fully restored Totonto Suburban 24 in service at Fort Edmonton Park (August 6, 2008)
© Hans Ryffel, ERRS
This little car has a very interesting history. The body was built in 1914 by the Preston Car Co. on a reused 1897 Taylor truck for use on the Toronto Suburban Railway. In 1923 the company was absorbed by the Canadian National Railways, who renumbered the car as CN 15702 and used it to carry switchmen alongside the hump tracks at Neebing Yard in Fort William, Ontario. For this purpose, the car was equipped with large exterior platforms and handles for the workers to hang on. This operation lasted into the 1960s, when the car became part of the CRHA museum collection in Montreal. It was stored outside until leased to the ERRS in 1987.
Restoration at Fort Edmonton Park returned the car to its original 1914 configuration. The car is powered by a pair of GE 1000 traction motors, which are believed to be the only operating examples of this pre 1900 technology. Toronto Suburban 24 is similar to Edmonton 7, which was the only single truck passenger car ever to operate in Edmonton. It is mainly used for light duties at Fort Edmonton Park.
A very early picture of identical sister car Toronto Suburban 25 © ERRS Collection
The interior condition of No. 24 prior to the start of restoration
© Bill Keith, ERRS