Future Projects - Saskatoon 202
Saskatoon 202 near the Canadian Pacific station in Saskatoon in October 1950.
© Omer Lavallée
Built in 1918 by the Cincinnati Car Company, Ohio for Rochester New York these Peter Witt type cars instead entered service in the City of Cleveland. After only five years five cars were sold to the London Street Railway in Ontario. Numbered 201 - 205 the cars were retired in 1935 and remained in storage until 1941, when they were bought for $1500 a piece by the Saskatoon Municipal Railway. After much refurbishment, the cars operated in Saskatoon with the same numbers until the demise of the streetcar system. Due to their tremendous size, the cars were nicknamed "Battleships".
Saskatoon 203, a sister car of our Saskatoon 202, sits at the Saskatchewan Railway Museum in 2008. © Wikimedia Commons