Providing the best in living history, Fort Edmonton Park is situated on 64 ha (158 ac) of parkland in Edmonton's river valley. What began as a Canada Centennial project in 1967 to reconstruct the old Fort Edmonton, quickly grew to encompass much more. Fort Edmonton Park is owned and operated by the City of Edmonton.
During the development of Fort Edmonton Park an agreement was reached to build streetcar tracks there. In 1981 Edmonton streetcar 1 began running in the park. By 1984 our members had established regular service in the park.
Our 1 kilometer Fort Edmonton Park streetcar line has stops on 1905 street and 1920 street and runs throughout the park's operating season. The line is double tracked and features turning loops near the Park entrance and the outer terminus at Egge's barn. A replica of the original south side streetcar barn in Edmonton houses a number of operational streetcars as well as the Society's workshop, where maintenance and restoration work is carried out. The streetcars use trolley poles to pick up electricity (600 Volts DC) from the overhead wires.